Sunday, March 16, 2014

Due Date Reflections

One year ago this past Friday, I was sadly celebrating Pi day, so disappointed that my baby would not be arriving. Ben assured me that my baby just wanted to celebrate the day in a spherical environment. This year, we had her birthday party -- a small, family affair. A combination of Greta's first Pi Day and birthday party.

Greta celebrates Pi Day. How many circles can you spy in this picture? 

One year ago this morning, convinced that my glimmers of regular contractions had fizzled out, I consoled myself that my baby wasn't coming on his/her due date by going to the Highpoint Center for Printmaking, where I made a piece of artwork for my Bambin@. This year, my parents spent the morning playing with Greta before they left town.

One year ago right now, almost to the minute as I am writing this, I lost my mucus plug in our upstairs bathroom. Within a short period of time, early labor started. Right now, Ben is in the upstairs bathroom giving a splashing Greta a bath.

One year ago tonight, at 2:47am, I woke up in active labor. Tonight I sincerely hope I am asleep at that time.

One year ago tomorrow, I was in labor all day long, expecting a St. Patrick's day baby. Tomorrow I expect to wear green to avoid getting pinched by my students and colleagues.

One year ago this Tuesday morning, I gave birth to a squirmy, slimy newborn who was placed on my chest and I thought I'd pass out from sheer exhaustion. Ben told me that she was a girl. This Tuesday, for work reasons, will be a tiring day for both Ben and myself, but it obviously won't even come close to a year ago. And as exciting as it was to meet our new baby on March 18, 2013, if the last few months are any precedent I predict that March 18, 2014 will be even happier. Much happier, in fact. There will be emotions -- there have been emotions all week -- but I predict that they will be ones of gratitude, joy, and love.

Life has been more joyful each day that we have had with our Margaret Linnea.

2 comments: