Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting Schooled

We had our first expectant parents' class last weekend. We've decided to take classes through our doula, so our classes are not only private, but they are also tailored to us and our particular birthing experience. This approach has its positives and negatives, of course. On the one hand, we get to know our doula through extended face-to-face conversations and we get to ask all the questions -- no matter how specific -- we would like without having to worry about wasting the time of the other students. For example, I could follow up every section with a question about whether there were any specific considerations if I were to do a waterbirth, without having to worry about being "that waterbirth lady" in the classroom.

On the other hand, because I am constantly interjecting my own questions, I worry that I'm messing with the flow of her lessons and getting us off-track on tangents too often. I wonder whether I should just write down my questions as I think of them, and then wait until she asks for questions to list them off.

But maybe I'm just thinking too much from the perspective of my own teaching experience. After all, we are the only students in the class.

What's really nice and reassuring about the prenatal classes so far is that the information that I've received about healthy birth practices is echoing what I've learned from the midwives. So I feel less anxious about having to "wait for the baby to decide when it's going to be born," for example, because I am getting more and more information about why that is a best practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment