Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Let's just see who blinks first . . .

I've decided that it is best if I begin to accept the possibility that I will be pregnant forever.

It's not that I'm terribly shocked that I haven't gone into labor yet. I'm only 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Despite the fact that my mom's longest pregnancy was a week shorter than what I am now (thanks Mom, for giving me totally unrealistic expectations of myself . . .), and despite the fact that I've been contracting painfully for weeks now, I am aware of the statistical unlikelihood of having given birth by 38 weeks and 3 days. In fact, it's because of the fact that it's entirely possible that this pregnancy will last another four weeks that I think it would be best if I prepared myself for the less-likely-but-there's-a-first-time-for-everything chance that I will be pregnant for the rest of my life.

I feel very strongly that this baby is ready to come out. I know that babies come on their own timeline and that it's best not to "rush baby" ahead of that timeline, but I still have a strong feeling that Bambin@ is ready for the outside world. But for some reason, our little procrastinator is stalling. And if I accept the fact that our baby can stall, then, well, I must accept the possibility that it could stall indefinitely.

So here we go. Here would be some of the possible advantages to this baby staying in there forever:
1. No diapers to change or milk to pump. Bambin@'s needs are being addressed efficiently from inside the womb.
2. Never having to baby-proof the house or worry about finding someone to watch the baby while we're out. Bambin@ can come with us to restaurants, movies, etc and we'd never have to worry about him/her throwing a fit.
3. I can rock and sing to Bambin@ and never have to worry about whether my soothing techniques are "working" or not.
4. I can keep all of Bambin@'s books and toys for myself.
5. I look super cute in maternity clothes.

Hear that, kiddo? I know you're stubborn, but I'm stubborn too. If you're in this for the long haul, I can wait it out as well. You just watch.

I am, of course, aware of the fact that it isn't actually healthy for either myself or Bambin@ to continue this pregnancy indefinitely. But for the purposes of this showdown, I'm assuming a placenta of infinite freshness, a womb of plentiful space and amniotic fluid, etc. 



1 comment:

  1. Placenta of Infinite Freshness would be GREAT name for a band!
    Excellent gauntlet-throwing, Mama. Also, I think reaching this psychological stage of the pregnancy is a good sign. Walter was born soon after I started getting paranoid and certain that he was plotting against me.

    ReplyDelete